Biscuits and gravy the classic Southern dish of fluffy biscuits topped with a creamy breakfast-sausage gravy is a family-favorite at our house.
- 1 1/2 cups plus 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces bulk chicken, turkey or pork breakfast sausage (10 links)
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a bowl, sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, cake flour, sugar, baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt. In another bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Use a fork to stir cream into dry ingredients. Press into a ball on a lightly floured work surface.
- Roll out dough to a 3/4 -inch thickness. Using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, cut dough into 8 rounds. Place biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Using a knife, cut off ends of sausage casings. Squeeze out meat and discard casings. In a frying pan over medium-high heat, cook sausage, breaking apart with a wooden spoon, until just cooked, 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, leaving fat behind.
- Measure fat in pan; add butter to equal 3 Tbsp. Reduce heat to medium; add 3 Tbsp. flour. Cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in milk. Bring to a simmer and cook until gravy thickens, 1 minute. Stir in sausage and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, with warm biscuits.
Find this and more recipes at www.myrecipes.com