In the mood for lasagna, but short on time? This easy meal boasts similar flavors (Italian sausage, tomato sauce, cheese), but it is ready to eat in half the time.
Italian Sausage Bread Pizza
- 1 lb bulk mild or spicy Italian pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup pizza sauce or tomato pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf French bread (about 14 inches long)
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 425°F. Lightly spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- In 12-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink. Push sausage to edges of skillet; add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened. Remove from heat; stir in pizza sauce, oregano, pepper flakes and salt.
- With serrated knife, cut bread in half lengthwise; scoop out center of each bread half, leaving 1/2-inch border (discard removed bread or reserve for making bread crumbs). Place bread halves on cookie sheet. Spread 1/3 cup of the ricotta cheese down center of each; top evenly with sausage mixture, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Drizzle loaves with remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Bake 6 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted. Cut into slices. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
You will find this and more recipes at Bettycrocker.com.