Ree’s adorable key lime pies round out a filling barbecue and, best of all, come together in three easy layers. Simply spread homemade lime curd atop buttery graham cracker crust, then add a dollop of fresh whipped cream. Lime zest is the perfect garnish.
- Lime Curd:
- 1 cup lime juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 14 eggs
- Crust Layer:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 12 whole graham crackers
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Lime zest, for garnish
- For the lime curd: Combine the lime juice, sugar and butter in a medium saucepan and cook on a low flame until the butter melts. Beat the eggs, add to the saucepan and stir until combined. Bring to a simmer. Stir constantly and cook until the mixture is a thick and creamy consistency, 5 to7 minutes. Pass through a mesh strainer. Chill for 2 hours in the fridge.
- For the crust: Add the sugar and graham crackers to a food processor. Pour in the melted butter and pulse to combine.
- For the topping: Whip the cream with the sugar until stiff.
- To assemble, layer the crumb mixture into the bottom of a serving cup, followed by the lime curd. Top with the whipped cream mixture and garnish with lime zest.
Find these and more recipes at www.foodnetwork.com