Make your own creamy pudding with some frozen waffles. The rich flavor and silky texture are worth the extra effort.
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp. fine salt
- 1 1/2 c. whole milk
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 lb. strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 oz. frozen Belgian waffles, toasted and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium heatproof bowl. In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt, milk, 1/2 cup cream, and egg yolks. Cook over medium-high, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbling, 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, whisking, 1 minute. Pour through sieve into bowl. Stir in butter and vanilla until combined. Press plastic wrap against surface of pudding to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate 3 hours (or up to 3 days).
- Toss strawberries with 1/2 cup sugar; let sit until fruit has released some juice, 20 minutes. Using an electric mixer, beat 1 1/2 cups cream and 1/4 cup sugar on medium-high until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl or trifle dish, layer 1/2 the waffles, strawberries, pudding, and whipped cream; repeat. Cover trifle with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours (or up to 1 day).
Find this and more recipes at delish.com